The Oxford Dictionary defines inspiration as:
"The process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative".
People usually associate inspiration with the creative sorts - artists, musicians, writers, scientists. But inspiration isn't limited to only a select few. The fact is that all of us, regardless of what our profession may be, need inspiration to remain happy and productive.
It is very easy to spot an inspired person among us. He could be a doctor or a teacher or even your neighborhood shop-owner. (Like me!) He could be anybody who does his job with love and imagination. Anybody who keeps discovering new, creative ways to solve the challenges in his line of work. A person who is FUELED by problems, not discouraged by them. A person who is inherently curious, and every new challenge is an opportunity for him to learn something new.
6 Ways In Which Inspiration Leads To Happiness
- Inspiration gives us a purpose in life. Like that apple did for Newton. It gives us something to strive for. (Snyder's first HOPE Postulate - Covered under 'H'.)
- Inspiration opens us to new possibilities and changes the way we perceive our own capabilities. Inspired people have higher self-esteem. They have greater confidence in their own competence and creative ability to achieve their goals. (Snyder's second and third HOPE Postulates - Covered under 'H'.)
- Inspiration makes us more receptive to new experiences. Inspired people are naturally more willing to EXPLORE. (Covered under 'E'.) They are like kids. A little spark can set them off on new "treasure hunts"!
- Inspiration leads to greater absorption in our work. And it is a scientifically proven fact that whenever we do something with all out heart in it, we enjoy it more. MINDFULNESS leads to contentment. (Will be covered under 'M'.)
- Inspiration motivates people intrinsically rather than extrinsically. That is why, when we are truly inspired, we are not affected so much by our work conditions. Workplace clutter goes unnoticed. We forget to have our meals. (I know I do that!) We can thrive on fewer hours of sleep. We don't care what others around us are doing. In short, the "small stuff" doesn't affect us anymore. Inspirations fuels our inner drive... our PASSION. (Will be covered under 'P'.)
- Inspiration inculcates GRATITUDE in our life. (Covered under 'G'.) Ask anyone who was ever "hit" by inspiration, and he'll say it felt as if the idea was suddenly "planted" in his mind by some "higher force". The more inspired we are, the more grateful we are... to whatever it is that guides us.
So How Do We Find Inspiration?
Well. Inspiration is like lightening. It can hit us anywhere, and at any time. So, obviously, there cannot be a set "formula" that might work for everyone, right?
At the most, what we can do is to learn how to create a state that attracts that bolt of lightning to us. In other words, we can figure out what works as a "Lightning Rod/Conductor" for us.
All we need to do for this is:
1) Monitor the things and situations that inspire us most.
2) Incorporate them in our natural work flow, so that we become constant "magnets" for inspiration.
My top five sources of inspiration are:
1) Stimulating phone conversations
2) Spending time with kids
3) Necessity (that makes me very innovative!)
4) Quiet (at night in bed, or in the shower)
5) Reading (books, blogs, Facebook updates)
Your turn now. What are your top 5 sources of inspiration? Do you feel happier when you are inspired?
This is my ninth post for AtoZ2017.
I have completed this challenge once before, and published it as a kindle ebook.
You can get it on amazon: A to Z of Blogging: Take Your Blog To the Next Level.
(Continued below sponsored content)
Let me know you visited me. Leave a comment!
And if you enjoyed reading this post, then please SHARE it. You can use the following buttons for sharing. Thank you! :)