I was going to post a book review today, but then I didn't feel like spending that much time for today's post. So I hunted through my computer's hard drive, for something else filed away for blogging. And I found this recipe. It's for the Microwave Eggless Chocolate Cake I made for my birthday in 2011. Yeah, it's the same one I tempted you guys with on Chocolate Day in 2011!
I'd been planning to do a KBL-T30 on recipes back then. So I'd filed away this recipe for that series. Eventually, I decided that 30 days of nothing but recipes on my blog would be torture for my regular readers! So I dropped the idea and, somehow, forgot about this recipe! Luckily, I found it today, so sharing it with you guys. Let me warn you though... this Microwave Eggless Chocolate Cake is loaded with calories! So do not make it if you're trying to lose weight or have had a recent breakup with someone!
For the Microwave Eggless Chocolate Cake:
1 and 2/3 cups flour (maida)
1 cup powdered sugar
6 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp drinking chocolate powder (optional - kids love the extra sweetness)
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup curd
1/3 cup milk (cold)
1/2 cup butter
- Grease a micro-proof dish. (I used a 1.5 liter round fluted dish of Borosil.)
- Sieve the first five ingredients together (all the dry ingredients... four if drinking chocolate is not used) and keep aside.
- Run the curd through a blender or sieve it so that it flows smoothly without lumps.
- Add the milk to the curd.
- Heat the butter in microwave for 30 seconds on P100. It should start bubbling on the top. If it doesn't, then micro again for another 10 seconds. Add this to the curd-milk mixture.
- Add the sieved dry ingredients to this curd mixture.
- Mix everything well till nicely blended and fluffy. (Took me hardly 2 minutes with the hot butter. Took me much longer when I forgot to sieve the dry stuff first!)
- Pour this into the greased dish. (It doesn't really "pour" though... it's so thick! You've got to get your fingers covered in chocolate! And while you're getting your hands dirty, you might as well steal a few licks if nobody is watching! It tastes delicious even then!)
- Bake in microwave P100 for 7 minutes. (Reduce time if the quantity is reduced. I burnt 2 smaller versions of this cake, before I figured out the timing!)
- Leave in oven for like 5 minutes, then take it out and let it cool before removing the cake from the dish.
Note: Simply greasing the dish doesn't really work too well. The cake left the sides on its own after a few minutes, but the bottom didn't come out too clean. I remember when my mom used to make cakes in the old round aluminum oven, she used to make me cut and grease brown paper to line the dish. I'm not sure right now if brown paper can be used in the micro for that long, but if it can, I'll definitely use it for lining, when I make this Microwave Eggless Chocolate Cake again.
For the Chocolate Glaze Icing:
200 grams chocolate (bitter if you can get it, I couldn't)
100 grams butter (white unsalted one preferably; again, I couldn't get it here!)
- Cut both the items into small pieces and put in a micro-proof bowl.
- Micro on P100 for 30 seconds.
- Stir till smooth.
- Micro again for 10-15 seconds if required. (Keep watching this very carefully... the chocolate burns very quickly! Yeah, I speak from experience, he he!)
- This Chocolate Glaze is generally used on doughnuts, cookies, cupcakes etc. But I find the regular cake icing too sweet (as in "sickeningly sweet"!), so I tried this on the cake. Everybody loved it!
For the Chocolate Garnishing:
40 gram chocolate bar
- Just run a vegetable peeler knife along the edge of the chocolate bar. Cold bar gave grated chocolate, and slightly warmer bar gave proper curls.
- Decorate the cake with it.
I made this Microwave Eggless Chocolate Cake in such huge quantity, because well... we all usually love chocolate cake, don't we! Not my nephew Yuvraj though! He loves chocolate alright, but he hated cake in those days! Just a month before my birthday, he celebrated his. And he didn't take a single bite out of his own birthday cake! So I wasn't really expecting him to take a fancy to my cake either. But I was so wrong!
The kid loved it! So much so, that he even gave me all his Cadbury's gems to decorate the cake with, and he never shared even a single gems with anyone back then! (Of course, after cutting the cake, we just picked them right off, and gave them all back to him, but that's a different story!) Coming back to my gorgeous Microwave Eggless Chocolate Cake, Yuvraj ate two servings of the cake at my house, and then even made me pack a whole box of it to take home, so that he could take it to school in his tiffin-box the next day! And this from a kid who didn't even like cakes!
Here's more in Recipes from miss_teerious!
This is my eighth post for 2013 April Spring Cleaning Challenge.
Link to the previous post: "Stuffed Capsicum in Microwave"
Let me know you visited me. Say "Hello"!
And if you enjoyed reading this post, then please SHARE it. Use the following buttons. Thank you! :)