I have a weakness for pickles, especially the homemade green chillie pickle that's preserved in lime juice (unlike the mustard oil one that's usually available in market). I like it so much that I learnt how to make it, from my aunt in Kanpur, before my family left that city in 2000. It's the only pickle I know how to make, and it's quite easy really.
250 grams big green chillies
8 tbsp salt
8 tbsp rai (mustard seeds)
4 tbsp saunf (fennel seeds)
1 tbsp methi (fenugreek seeds)
pinch of heeng (asafoetida)
Juice of 2 lemons
- Wash and dry the green chillies.
- Roast together saunf, methi and heeng, and add the rai to the mixture, giving it a quick run through the grinder to make a coarse powder for stuffing.
- Add the salt and a little lime juice and mix well.
- Cut a vertical slit in each green chilli and fill in the prepared stuffing.
- Store in a clean jar and pour in the remaining lime juice.
- Keep the jar in the sun for a day or two and then store in a refrigerator.
There you go. Didn't I say it was a piece of cake!
Here's more in Recipes from miss_teerious!
Let me know you visited me. Say "Hello"!
And if you enjoyed reading this post, then please SHARE it. Use the following buttons. Thank you! :)