It's almost the end of the winter season, and I suddenly realized yesterday that I hadn't made gajar ka halwa even once this season! I checked in my refrigerator and discovered that I had plenty of carrots, but no khoya/mawa. So I decided to take some extra milk from our local milkman in the evening, and made this yum gajar ka halwa for dinner last night! I added a bit of microwave cooking in this recipe, to cut down on the cooking time. Here's how I did it.
2 large fresh carrots
500 ml milk
1 tbsp ghee (here's the recipe for my homemade ghee)
1.5 tbsp sugar (more if you prefer sweeter)
pinch of cardamom powder
2 cashew nuts for garnish
- Peel, wash and grate the carrots.
- Put the grated carrots in a microwave-proof container with lid, and microwave on P100 for 2 minutes (refer pic 1).
- Heat the ghee in a heavy bottom container on the gas stove, and add the micro-cooked grated carrots, along with the cardamom powder.
- Saute for about 2 minutes, till it starts emitting that delicious roasted smell (refer pic 2).
- Add the milk and keep stirring off and on (on medium to high flame), till the milk dries up (refer pic 3).
- Add the sugar now and roast for another minute or so, till the sugar melts and the halwa starts looking like it's supposed to look (refer pic 4).
- Take it out in a large serving bowl (or serve directly in smaller individual bowls) and garnish with split cashew nuts.
Dad and I had this for dessert last night, but if it had been a between-the-meals snack, I would have served it in my usual style -- with tea and papad! Also, neither of us (Dad or me) likes dry fruits in our gajar ka halwa, so I didn't add any, but you can mix in some if you like.
Here's more in Recipes from miss_teerious!
(Continued below sponsored content)
Let me know you visited me. Leave a comment!
And if you enjoyed reading this post, then please SHARE it. You can use the following buttons for sharing. Thank you! :)